900 Years Later, it's Done!

It feels like I've been waiting to write this blog post for years. In truth, it's been a couple months, but I think I was less annoyed at the washroom when it was just walls and insulation than I have been since November. Last post we had finally laid the tile, installed the sink, and put the cabinet back together. After this it was just trim and the mirror to finish. It took us so long to do these simple things!

Over Christmas we gave Marcy away one day so we could install the towel holders and window casing!  These went up without a hitch, thankfully, and I painted them.




Also at the end of October I found out I was laid off, which sucked, so I spent November with Marcy at home during the day and then in December I got accepted into Humber's Creative Writing graduate certificate program, so I also spent a lot of time re-editing one of my novels when she went to daycare.

But, you don't care about that. I don't want this to become like one of those recipe blogs where you're scrolling through family history for 17 minutes just to get to the recipe itself.


Trim!
In January I realized that I was entirely capable of installing trim, so I took a stab at it! And, I must say, it came out quite well.


One caveat - this corner is NOT square. So give me a break



The hardest part of trim is imaging in your head the angle you need to cut. Not only does it depend on which side of the trim you're cutting, but also on whether it's an inside or outside corner. I came up with using a piece of cardboard I folded, so I used that as my guide for how to angle the saw. Rob thinks my method is crazy, but our brains don't exactly work the same way, so I say whatever method you need to employ, you do you!



My guide for corners!
My silly measurements
 
And then came the quarter-round, which was even worse in terms of mentally picturing which angle to cut. But, the power of Dasani Sparkling Water, Youtube tutorials, and "I guess this is better than working" powered me through!

Then I lugged the nail gun upstairs and guess what? It fell apart!


 After much swearing I managed to put it back together. How I succeeded I have no idea.

After I nailed it in, I used caulking and wood filler to fill in the gaps.


Stupid out-of-whack wall!


The Mirror

To save money, we decided to keep the old mirror but give it a facelift. 
All we had to do was cut some wood and paint it, but for some reason it just wasn't happening. Finally, Rob got to work and cut pieces like so:



Then I primed and painted:



And we used PL Premium to adhere them to the mirror. Voila!





The bathroom is finished!!!


Before and After:



















The mirror trim is actually the same colour as the cabinets, the light just changes it




Other Projects!

Also in January/February I took on some other projects around the place.
  • I Marie Kondo'd our closets (all of them).
  •  
  • I pulled a massive Purge on my office.
  • I caulked the basement baseboards. All of them.
  • Rob and I cleaned up the furnace room one day.

I also had a lot of fun scraping and painting the underside of the Yukon.



And by fun I mean it was freezing, uncomfortable and I gave my arm repetitive strain. I used a simple scraper, a drill with a metal buffer, screwdrivers, and MY MITTS. I managed to listen to a lot of episodes of my podcasts of choice (The Bechdel Cast and Flash Forward).



 Then, after doing this for DAYS, I took it to the car wash, then sprayed it with Rust Paint.




Yay?

This was to prevent getting rust paint on any part of my body. And I still somehow managed to get it on my arm?


Anyway, what's the next project? Oh, I don't know ... how about THE ENTIRE MAIN FLOOR?

Yes, we're crazy. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts